USF celebrates National Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Month, November, 2013
Co-sponsored by Student Life and the Center for Franciscan Life – this month of events is designed to help the USF community to learn more about the lives and needs of the hungry and homeless in our community.
- Friday, Nov. 1, 7 pm – 8 am : Fort Wayne Rescue Mission Experience and Sleep in your Car fundraiser for Catholic Charities
This exciting night features several events, which students are invited to participate in. Registration for each event begins September 15.
- Fort Wayne Rescue Mission Experience - The Fort Wayne Rescue Mission will registered students and staff at USF and transport us to the mission, where we will enjoy dinner, a tour and conversation with some individuals who receive services at the mission.
- Film Showing: 10 pm, North Campus - Homeless to Harvard: The Liz Murray Story
- Sleep in Your Car fundraiser for Catholic Charities – participating students commit to sleeping in their car all night on the North Campus lot until 8 a.m. We will have games, bonfires, food and other surprises for all. Participants may solicit “sponsorships” from friends and family to support Catholic Charities.
- Thursday, November 7, 12:30 – 1:30 pm: Serving the Hungry and Homeless in Fort Wayne - a panel/brown bag lunch: Join us for this lunchtime panel and discussion with four local nonprofits who provide services to the hungry and homeless in our community.
- Tuesday, November 12, 7 pm – Guest Speaker, Mike Yankoski, author of Under the Overpass: Mike Yankoski describes his intentional journey with his companion Sam as a homeless man in today’s world.
- Tuesday, November 18-19, 10 am – 2 pm – Campus-wide Bread for the World letter writing campaign. Bread for the World is a collective Christian voice urging our nation’s decision makers to end hunger at home and abroad –please take the time to make your voice heard at one of our tables set up in campus building hotspots in Trinity Hall, Pope John Paul II, Doermer, North Campus and Rolland buildings. Guidance and sample letters will be provided at each table.